2009/2010 Furniture Trends
If you have to sum up the hot furniture trends for this year and next – one word comes to mind – eclectic!
- Metallics are hot this year and it shows – furniture takes on a new finish with metallics – out-glitzing the mirrored Hollywood Regency trend of last year.
- Asian styles that fell out of favor decades ago are taking a peek into rooms this year. Look for Japanese art inspired fabrics to start leading us down the path to a kinder, gentler Asian style in furniture.
- Bright sofas are front and center in living room furniture – out of the picture are neutral sofas with bright throw pillows, in the picture are bright sofas with neutral throw pillows.
- Curvy couches in heavier styles are often used in black and white decorated living rooms. Look for the couch to stick around when color hits the walls again.
- Comfort and Joy – Comfort keeps in the forefront for the year, thank goodness, and bright colored furniture will be all the rage.
- Modular furniture is flexibility personified for the cost-conscious consumer – urban dwellers in particular will be taking advantage of these new styles and choices.
- Eco-awareness continues in home furnishings, with natural and environmentally friendly furniture continuing the go-green trend.
- Gray is the hot neutral to showcase the bright furniture – a twist on the hot metallics for the year.
- Simple, understated styling graces furniture shapes.
- Reinterpreting the past – traditional with a twist will be hot in furniture – taking the furniture of the days of old and adding tricks of the trade to put a new face on them.
- A little Bohemia goes a long way – with the more clean furniture styles comes Bohemian pieced bright bold fabrics to add interest and spotlight the simplicity in the room.
Keep an eye on these hot furniture trends of 2009 and 2010 to start making appearances in the interior design scene.