Wall Decals - In or Out?
Wall decals burst on to the decorating scene in a big way in the last five years. First came Wallies, with the murals, decals and chalkboard backgrounds. Easy to use and offered in a wide variety of styles, vinyl-coated wallpaper cutouts required no tools and no artistic talent to create wall art worthy of the finest rooms.
Before the style could fade in to the woodwork, uber cool options popped up right and left, and wall decals are showing staying power. Referred to also as wall tattoos, wall art and wall stickers, there’s no shortage of way cool and modern choices in wall decals to become the wall treatment of choice when redecorating a room.
But are they last year’s overdone decorating trend? Some say absolutely, others still swear by them, particularly for children’s rooms.
Budget friendly and removable in minutes, wall decals are the decorating trend of choice for renters in particular. Dorm rooms could transform in minutes and decorating nurseries no longer meant applying wallpaper only to have to strip it down when baby grows up. Decals have proven to be:
- Easy to install
- Durable and simple to clean
- Easy to remove without damage to the wall
- Personalized or customized to fit all wall sizes, colors and designs
Nature-themed patterns are all the rage for the year, going green can go to your wall with eco-friendly themes. You can bring the outdoors in, and create a restful atmosphere with nature scenes, or even a simple pattern that evokes an element of nature.
Some of our favorites designs for decals for 2009 are:
- Black, simple silhouettes in singles or multiples – perfect for the modern interior or black and white room;
- Simple murals of single elements – our favorites are Asian-inspred cherry trees, natural topiaries and other nature elements. These pieces have such amazing detail it’s difficult to determine that they’re not custom painted murals.
- Optical illusion wall art. Trompe l’oeil is French for ‘trick of the eye', and these stickers are convincing enough to garner a second look - we loved a silhouette of a coat rack with pegs for actually hanging coats.
- Simple embellishments for those of us who are stencil-challenged, they add simple elegance to more formal and classic interiors.
Wall decals are half the expense, but twice the fun of traditional wall coverings, work in a few with your next redecorating project, save time and money and have some fun. Trends shouldn’t dictate your décor, you should.